No one ever asks, “I wonder what my accountant is doing right now?” Well…I’m going to answer the question that no one is answering. Probably like most accountants, my day is heavily governed by my habits and routines. I recently started reading Atomic Habits by James Clear (excellent book!). James Clear made two statements that really resonate with me:
- “Habits are the compound interest of self-improvement.” – Our good and bad habits are shaping who we will be in the future because of their cumulative effect.
- “Your current behaviors are simply a reflection of your current identity.” – A lot of times our resolutions fail because we are trying to change our behavior without changing our identity.
Again, I’ve pretty much always been a creature of habit. In recent years, I’ve been giving more attention to breaking some bad habits and developing good habits/routines so that I can be the person I want to be. The below video gives you a peak into how I’m living this out. I also give you some links that might be useful. Probably the biggest influences in terms of developing good habits have been: 1)John Wesley, 2)Michael Hyatt, 3)Carey Nieuwhof and 4)Jordan Peterson.
- Bible Reading Plan: https://www.bible.com/reading-plans/60-the-one-year-bible
- Intermittent Fasting: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-ways-to-do-intermittent-fasting
- John Wesley’s Covenant Prayer: https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/blog/the-wesley-covenant-prayer-and-the-baptismal-covenant
- Full Focus Planner: https://fullfocusplanner.com/
- Life Plan: https://livingforwardbook.com/
- Indistractable by Nir Eyal: https://www.nirandfar.com/indistractable/
- Wearing same daily outfit: https://www.becomingminimalist.com/capsule-wardrobe/#:~:text=Less%20stress.,originally%20made%20in%20the%20morning.
- Treadmill Desk: https://www.workwhilewalking.com/exerpeutic-workfit-2000-treadmill-desk-reviews
- Flip Phone: https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones/tf-lg-classic-flip-l125dl
It was cool to see your A Day in The Life of Jeff Video. You post got my attention because I just purchased Atomic Habits. I decided I would work through the book and blog about it. I got little carried away with writing going through chapter two but Tomorrow I will start chapter three. I think it’s a great book and I am excited to get rid of some old habits and create some new ones. Good luck with creating your new habits.
Thanks! It’s opened my eyes. By the way, I just checked out your blog. The time was well spent.