About eight months ago, I called into the Dave Ramsey Show and got through. After I quit gushing over Dave, I asked him, “What would be the Baby Steps for a church?” This was not just a passing fancy of mine. I’ve been thinking and reading and visiting with people about this subject for many years. In this quarter’s webinar, Sheri Meister and I discuss the seven areas that church’s need to give attention if they want financial freedom to follow Jesus Christ.
Here’s the short version of the areas. I encourage you to watch/listen to this webinar to get the long version. Plus, there is a link to the assessment below that you can take for your church:
- Invested Leaders: Church leaders should be raised up from the top 20% of givers. Leaders that don’t give worry about what others might think. Leaders that give worry about the mission.
- A Focused Team: Now that you have Invested Leaders, the next step is to help them take responsibility for Overseeing Spending, Growing Giving, and Managing Reserve Funds.
- Stewardship Teaching: Money can be either a great obstacle to living for Jesus or a great tool. If you help people manage their money and teach on the benefits of giving, church income will go up.
- Budget Accuracy: With a growing income, now is the time to be honest about your budget. How will you plan to spend the income…not what you wish the income was.
- Debt Aversion: Debt is a weight on the ministry of a church. It will affect how you lead and make decisions. The sooner you can rid yourself of the debt, the better.
- Capital Reserve: With the Debt gone, a Growing Income, and an Accurate Budget, it’s time to build up reserves to care for the property. This helps you avoid always raising funds for the building so that people begin to think the building IS the ministry.
- Operating Reserve: At the same time, building up an Emergency/Opportunity Fund will help you take risks and weather storms.
- Church Financial Health Assessment: https://www.dakotasumc.org/media/files/CONFERENCE/5_Conf_Finance_Benefits/Finance/Church_Financial_Assessment.pdf
- Budgeting Video Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy3_Fkz8_LMqNE_pFwHxcnvr9uzvirb-T
- Preaching on Giving Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy3_Fkz8_LMqr6yDQwonN5oUcREz0u9nS
- Should a Pastor know what people give: https://jctaccounting.com/2020/09/11/should-pastors-know-what-people-are-giving/
1 comment for “Assessing your Church’s Financial Health”